Saturday, July 19, 2014

What the Fish?

Hello, hello! I will be the first to say that sometimes, I bite off more than I can chew. And sadly, the last few days have been that way. I realize I have been trying to help everyone in my life with their problems, which doesn't leave me much time for myself.

So I decided to stay at my house for the next few days. I won't be leaving to visit friends, or going out to eat with my man cake. I will be relaxing, enjoying my time at home, doing what I love (which includes searching Pinterest religiously and refashioning).

Speaking of refashioning, why don't I stop rambling and get on with today's refashion?

My man cake's grandma gave me quite a few different patterns of fabric once she figured out about my quest to refashion. I am in love with everything she gave me, but she gave me SO MUCH fabric that I'm slightly overwhelmed with it all.

So I decided, why not start small?

Today's refashion started out with this adorable piece of fabric.


I absolutely love the pattern, but there's only so much you can do with this little scrap of fabric as is. So I got to pinning the two sides together, making sure that the fabric I could see was the dull side.



See the pin? I kept pinning all the way down the fabric until I had a piece that was similar in length from the beginning, but half the width. Then I took out my trusty hand needle and matching thread and got to work.


Workin', workin'. When I finished sewing the sides together, I was left with something much more sturdy, like this.

At this point, you're probably thinking "But the dull side is on the outside, and the pretty, brighter side is on the inside. What's wrong with you?"

Oh, silly viewer, I had already thought of that! I hadn't sewn down one of the edges, so I just flipped the fabric inside out so you could see the pretty side.


Tada! Cute little fabric...type...thing. Okay, so right now, it doesn't look too impressive, and you probably have no idea what it is I'm making. But what if I said I took one of theeese babies....



And stuck the fabric to my wall.

Now, I'm not sure if you saw my second post on this blog, but in case you haven't, I'll summarize really quick.

I went out to Goodwill last week (which just so happened to be half-off Sunday! Woo!) and I happened to find little sandwich bags stuffed full with jewelry and other little pieces. I loved all the pieces I found, even these bad boys.



Fish shower rings! How adorable! Although the little fish would definitely match the theme of my bathroom (which is a beach theme), we are not in need of new shower rings. So I decided to get a little creative. As I said earlier, my trip to Goodwill had me stocked up with all sorts of necklaces, earrings, and bracelets. But, I had no where to hang the bracelets and make them easily accessible.

Until now that is.

I took those adorable little fish, hooked them onto the now- sturdy piece of fabric, and tada!



I now have an absolutely adorable, slightly nautical themed, bracelet holder! Of course I decided to pin it to the bottom of my Joker poster, which is conveniently right beside my vanity. It's now crazy easy for me to find matching jewelry without digging through my drawers and other hiding places.



Sooo, what do you think? What else should I make with the yards and yards of fabric I have left over?




2 comments: