Monday, July 28, 2014

Summery Knock-Off Dress

Hello, hello! I know I've been missing for a few days, but in those days I took off, I helped move my man cake into his new apartment (yay!) and visited my momma, sister, and lil' brother. Fun times were had all around, and I enjoyed taking a little break from everything.

But...I am happy to be back to work, and am so excited about today's refashion. I can't wait for you to see it!

Today, I started with a piece of inspiration that I found from Anthropologie.



Isn't it gorgeous? I love the colorful pattern that turns into a matching solid. When I first saw it, I knew I had to have it, but once I looked at the price tag, I knew I'd rather make it. How much does this cost, you ask? Well, only $128.00. Let that sink in.

I don't think, at any point in my life, I have ever bought something that cost that much. I don't think I could justify spending that much money on a dress. EVER. 

I'd rather make something that I know I will absolutely love, and that wouldn't cost nearly that much.

I started out with a cute patterned tank top and a big black shirt.



I love the summery feel of the patterned tank. So cute. 

So, I started off with a big ole' chop.



And then another big chop.



I paired the top of the tank top with the bottom of the black shirt and got to pinning.



Look at the hot pinning action. When I was pinning the fabric, I left the sides untouched, meaning I only sewed the front and back. I did this because the black shirt was far bigger than the tank top, and I knew if I tried to sew it like normal, I would end up with a jumbled mess.

So I got to sewing the front and back.



Look at me go. But I didn't forget the sides. I sewed one of the sides closed, with a ruffle type of effect.



See the ruffles? Cute, huh?

I pinned the other side closed with my favorite brooch, and slipped on the new dress.



Tada! I am so in love with this dress. The tank top's fabric hugs up top, while the black t shirt fabric is light and flowy on bottom. I love the accent the brooch gives. 




Don't worry about the extra fabric I have lying around: I've got an awesome idea for those, but it will be a later refashion.



This is probably my favorite refashion to far. I just love it. And it's a huge plus that I saved myself over 100 dollars. Leave me a comment and tell me what you think!



6 comments: