Friday, July 25, 2014

Expanding the Closet

Hello, hello! 

Today's refashion is really important to me because there have always been a few articles of clothing that I believe every girl should have in her closet.

The first thing I believe every girl should have is a pair of nude heels or wedges. Nude heels, in my opinion, spice up any outfit, makes your legs look longer and leaner, and can be the single piece that ties it all together.

The second article is a cute printed scarf. Nothing says comfy like a scarf, and the print can take one outfit, and make it an entirely different one.

And the last article is a jean jacket.

A jean jacket can do so many things. It can add a rustic feeling to an outfit, make a skirt look a little less dressy, and can match with almost everything you try on.

Sadly, I didn't have a jean jacket in my closet. Until now.

Today's refashion started out with this jacket.



It is way too big for me, the length is not flattering, and the collar reminds me of the 80's. Nothing said "don't mess with me" like an upturned collar.

Since I'm not a bad boy from the 80's, and since I'm only a little taller than 5 feet, something needed to be done.

First, I took out those strings.



Why were those even there? When I pulled on the strings, it didn't tighten like it was supposed to. I'm thinking the strings were just too old, and had lost the elasticity. So I had no problem with cutting those out.

Next, I measured where I'd like the jacket to end on me...



..and promptly got to cutting.



Buh-bye, unflattering length. I shall not miss you.

At this point in the refashion I realized I was hungry. So up to our kitchen I went. I made a delicious smoothie, and then went back to work.



NOM NOM NOM.

Once I got back to the refashion, I knew I didn't want that collar on there. So I grabbed my trusty seam ripper and got to work.




I can honestly say the longest part of this refashion was taking off the collar. That thing was ON THERE. Someone really didn't want this collar to come off. But it was no match for me. After about an hour and a half, I had viciously ripped that thing off.



Bam! Take THAT, collar! Don't mess with me!

Next, I knew those sleeves were not my fave, and so I got to cutting them off. 

Snip!

I tried on the jacket at this point, and realized I was still swimming in it. Although I wanted the jacket to be bigger and comfy, it was still too big.

So I grabbed near an inch and a half of fabric from the inside, and got to pinning.



I'm sure you know by now that when I pin something, I sew it. I didn't take pictures of my awesome sewing action for two reasons: One, I've sewed enough things for you to know what it looks like, and two, I kept messing up, and it was really aggravating me.

But no worries, I finally got my fingers working, and I sewed it all the way up. 

I put on my outfit for the day, threw on the jean jacket, and that was that!



I really love this jean jacket. I worked really hard on it (stupid fingers! You know how to sew!) and I've been dying to add a jean jacket to my closet for a while now.

My mind could not let go of all the waste I had left over. Those awesome, deep pockets! After some long thinking, I finally came up with an idea that will allow me to use up all the left over pieces. I will be sharing this refashion with you soon. But, that means this refashion (and the refashion coming up) are completely no-waste refashions! I'm so excited! No clothes and pieces in the trash can and landfills!



So, what do you think? Any guesses as to what I will be making with the left over pieces? Let me know in the comments below.





14 comments:

  1. I don't have a jean jacket.. But I think it's time to invest in one! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should most definitely get a jean jacket! I'll admit, I was a sweat pants and band T shirt type of girl through out high school and college. Once I graduated, I realized I could no longer dress like that. A jean jacket lets me still feel comfortable and stylish at the same time. I could seriously go on and on about it, but I'll spare you on the lecture :P

      Delete
  2. Love it!!! You really are making me wish I had some kind of sewing ability. It may be time to get a sewing machine and learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should most definitely learn. It's really easy, once you get the hang of it. I desperately need to invest in a new sewing machine. I can't hand sew everything for the rest of time! But hand sewing is a lot easier to control (in my opinion) than a sewing machine. I somehow always end up messing up my lines :/

      Delete
  3. This is awesome! You did a great job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does your mother sew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I have no idea. I haven't really witnessed her sewing, but I'd be lying if I pretended I knew the answer. Strangely enough, my Dad sews. He can only do buttons, nothing like hemming and such. But I have a strange feeling about who this "anonymous" commenter may be, and in the off chance that it really is who I think it is, I will respond with "BOOM! GET HER TO SEW THAT!"
      If you have no idea what that means, I apologize.

      Delete
    2. I know what it means, and I only have one follow-up question. Where's the pudding legs?

      also the jacket is cool :)

      Delete
    3. The pudding legs may or may not be in the back of yellow chicken cars.

      Also, thank you. :)

      Delete
  5. OMG!!! I LOVE it! You've told me about this and I thought I had it pictured in my mind
    but clearly I didn't. I had no idea any of this would turn out like this!! This proves you are without a doubt the creative one in the family! I'm gonna find something for you to refashion for me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Refashioning is really hard to explain to people, because when I say "I take old clothes and make them new", people have a hard time imagining it. You find me something, and I'll try my hardest to refashion it for you. :)

      Delete
  6. Love it. Proud of you. This is linda

    ReplyDelete