Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Guy's Night Out

Hello, hello! I have been so very excited about this refashion ever since I laid eyes on the starting piece.


You are looking at a gorgeous pair of men's pants. These were graciously given to me by my man cake's friend, Michaer (No that's not a spelling error. I call him that).

Just by the material, I can tell these were for some special occasion. Maybe a high school dance, or even prom. I loved how soft these felt, but this crazy, muggy heat Ohio is experiencing is keeping me from wearing pants. So I knew I couldn't keep them as-is.

First, I began with a big ole' chop.


I left quite a few inches for seam allowance. It's really easy to cut too much fabric off, and then when you go to hem them, you're left with shorts that will not fit.

I then pinned the shorts where I wanted my hem to be.


See da pins?

I then measured from the waistline of the shorts, down to where I pinned the hem. I wanted to make sure that I had cut off the extra fabric in a somewhat- straight line. By measuring from the waistband down, I was able to make sure the length of the pants matched on each side.


I then took the thread that would have went on my machine, if it hadn't taken a dump on me, (see yesterday's post for details) and threaded my hand needle.


And I promptly got to hemming.


Half way through the hemming process, I had to rip out my seams. I was hemming the pants WAY wrong, and had to start over. But once I started again, everything was going great.


Look at that hem. After doing both sides, I slipped on my new high-waisted shorts, paired them with a plain white top and the refashioned shoes from my first ever refashion, and voila!


I apologize for the pictures. I only have a smart phone camera, and it seems to constantly be fighting with the light. The only place I can take a decent picture is my landlord's (aka the Big Refashion Noob's DAD's) bathroom. 

I'm pretty proud of that hand- sewn hem!


I love how soft these shorts are, and how they can match almost everything in my closet. 

I'm extremely proud of this refashion, guys. These shorts are going to be my go-to bottoms for the rest of summer. 


Sooo, what do you think? Leave me comments down below, or email me!



4 comments: