Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pinspiration

Hello, hello! 

As I'm sure it's easy to tell, I am slightly obsessed with Pinterest. Everything you could ever think of doing is on one easy site. I love it. LOVE IT.

So while I was stalking Pinterest, I came across these adorable DIY earrings.



Those are bobby pins. I just love them so much. It's such a cute, boho type of style, but sadly, I don't have my ears pierced. 

That didn't stop me. 

First, I gathered my supplies.


Two things of paint (black and white), three plastic bowls (one for water, two for the paint), a paint brush, a chain necklace, a package of bobby pins, and a cup of coffee (The coffee is optional... for some people).

I laid down some paper, poured the paint into separate bowls, and laid out the bobby pins.



And I promptly got to painting. I started with the black paint first, and painted from the tips (or opening) of the bobby pin to about half way up, leaving the top untouched.


Hardcore painting action going on here.

Then I laid the bobby pins out on the paper to dry.



I'd like to take this opportunity to say that watching paint dry is probably the most boring thing I have done in a while.

When the pins had finally dried, I took a q tip, and rubbed off the extra paint from the inside.



Rub a dub. Then I painted the top half of the bobby pins in white. Once I finished, I laid them down to dry.



Once they dried, I did a second coat, and let them dry once again (Watching this paint dry was just as boring as the first coat). Once all that was said and done, I took the bobby pins, and snapped them onto the chain necklace.



I snapped all 14 bobby pins onto the chain, tossed it around my neck, and that was that!



I absolutely LOVE this necklace. And I have a strange obsession with the black and white color combo. Black and white, paired together, is just so timeless and classic. Plus, it matches everything. 



So what do you think? The whole process (including the paint drying) took about 25 minutes. That's not counting my multiple coffee breaks. What color combos would you try?



4 comments:

  1. Awesome. What kind of paint did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually used the only type of paint I have- Apple Barrel acrylic paint. The only true downside to using this paint is that I have to be careful not to get the necklace wet. I made the mistake of painting a plastic bed side table, and whenever I set a drink or something on it, the paint likes to chip off when it gets wet.

      Delete
  2. Awesome Idea yet again!! Very creative Jess!!!

    ReplyDelete