Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Parting Gift

Hello, hello!

I've got some good news. My man cake will be moving into an apartment with a few friends this weekend! We had a few problems with the place he's been living, so some of his things have been at my place. Three things that are here that I am sad are leaving: his roomy office desk, his awesome computer chair, and his body pillows.

My gosh, his pillows are so comfy. I was really hoping I could keep a few of them, but I suppose he needs pillows on his bed... 

So I decided, since I'll be a few pillows short, why not make a few?

Today's refashion started out with a couple old pillows (minus the cases) and a few shirts that don't fit, but I cannot part with.



If you can't tell, I'm kind of a nerd. I love gaming, Star Wars, Star Trek, Batman, and Pokemon. Just to name a few things. Which is why all of my shirts seem nerdy.

I grabbed the Darth Vader shirt and got to work. 

First, I chopped off those sleeves.



Buh bye! Then I chopped off that neckline seam.


Snippity-snip! Next, I pinned down the arm holes and got to sewing.


Sew, sew, sew the holes, make sure they are closed!

Then, I sewed the neckline.


More sewing action!

Then I took one of the pillows, and shoved it into the shirt through the opening at the bottom.


Like so. And that was it! I didn't sew the bottom closed just in case the new pillow case got dirty, and the pillow needed to be removed before washing it. 




I think it's adorable. But I decided I can make plenty more pillows, so this finished product will be going with my man cake to his new home.




So what do you think? This one pillow took about 20 minutes to make. Quick and simple.



4 comments:

  1. So awesome! I totes will I could sew. My home ec teacher took my pig pillow away from me in 8th grade and did it herself. She thought I sucked really badly so she gave up on trying to teach me. Consequently, I never really learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google and Youtube are your best friends! It's never too late to learn something new.

      Delete
  2. LOVE this idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just couldn't part with some of my old shirts. There's also a pretty easy no sew option that I think I might be sharing soon.

      Delete