Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Flirt Skirt

Hello, hello! 

I am so very happy to announce that I will be leaving tomorrow for a vacation out of state! My lovely man cake's father lives in Tennessee, and we decided to head on down for a five-day visit. Don't worry though, I promise to (attempt to) squeeze in a few refashions while relaxing. 

Speaking of relaxing, I have quite a long drive ahead of me, so I decided to refashion something that would be cute and comfy for traveling. 

Today's refashion started out with this block-like shirt.



I mean really, look at this crazy block action going on.



I think outfits like these are spawned by designers who spent too much time playing with Legos as a kid (or an adult. Seriously, how awesome are Legos?). 

I actually really enjoyed this shirt for a few reasons. The blocks were very romantic colors. Reds, pinks, yellows. It reminded me of Valentine's Day. And the back of the shirt had an awesome button-up neckline. I eventually decided to get rid of the back pieces though, but not before harvesting the buttons. I may or may not be a button addict.

Regardless of my addictions, I laid the shirt down and chopped off those sleeves. 



Then I snipped off the top part of the shirt, threw it on, and promptly took pictures.



I call this one "Crazy Cat Lady", because no human being would ever love a face like this (except for my man cake :D).

After I had released all of my inner silliness, I tried on the bottom part of the shirt around my waist. 




I may not be an expert, but that looks a little too big, right?

I took in one side, pinning the fabric with clothes pins instead of my regular pins. The fabric was a little silky, and I knew my normal pins would slide off.



I then chopped off the fabric from the right side of the pins. I sewed the skirt closed, but only halfway up. I had other plans.... (mysterious, huh?)



I took my trusty needle and thread, along with a cute, matching button and got to work.


I sewed the button on toward the top of the fabric, and cut a little hole into it for the button hole.


Peak-a-boo! 

I tossed on the finished product, paired it with a white t shirt and the necklace I made from an earlier post, and my travel outfit was complete.


Tada! I now have a silky, comfy skirt to wear for the very long car ride. I'm assuming it's going to be a little hot in Tennessee, so this skirt's airy fabric is perfect.

I have a thing for funky- patterned bottoms, so this will definitely fit in with the collection I have started. So, what do you think? Will I be drowning in my own sweat in Tennessee? Will I find the time to post while on vacation? Will I ever find a better place to take pictures besides my Dad's bathroom? Tune in next time!


4 comments:

  1. That's it! I'm buying a sewing machine (when I have money, Christmas gift to myself perhaps?) and I'm going to attempt to be as awesome as you are. I love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You should definitely treat yourself to a sewing machine (as long as you use it :P). Thanks for your compliments. Although I'm still learning, it's nice to know people enjoy what I (am attempting to) do.

      Delete
  2. Love looking at your new outfits. They are awesome. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I was never any good at putting together an outfit. I just now learned what a statement necklace is. But I'm definitely trying to get better. :)

      Delete