Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Purple Fringe Dress

Hello, hello!

Today I decided to get a little brave, and finally use my Rit Dye. I'm very happy with the results, so let's get going!

Today's piece started out as this... strange... night gown... thing?



Where to start with this... I hate the pattern, the length is terrible, and what is up with the collar and sleeves? Was someone really, REALLY cold when they went to bed? Were they living in an igloo? Geez.

This thing put me in such a bad mood. Something had to be done. I couldn't stand having this thing in my closet anymore. I'm pretty sure it stared at me when I looked for clothes in the morning.

I started by removing that terrible collar.



Dear goodness. I already felt a little better once that thing was gone, but I had to get rid of those sleeves too.



I promise, you will not be missed at all.

Next I took off some of that horrible length. 



I was feeling really brave today. I haven't dyed any clothing yet because I have been a little nervous. I didn't know where to dye the clothes at, I was worried it would stain something, and I didn't want to make the father angry.

But today, I threw caution to the wind. I grabbed a box of navy blue dye, and got to work.



I followed the instructions on the website, filled a bucket with hot water, added the dye, and shoved the terrible night gown inside.



I played the waiting game for 20 minutes, then wrung out the night gown, and threw it in the washer.

After a little run through the washer and dryer, I was surprised to see two things.

Number one, there was some terrible fraying going on, and number two, it wasn't navy blue at all...



It was purple. 

But these two unexpected outcomes didn't stop me. I was feeling pretty good about not having such an ugly night gown anymore, so I didn't pout much. I just kept working.

I took out my trusty scissors and got to chopping off the longer fringe pieces, and that mystery white stuff.



Snippity snip. While I was chopping off the pieces, I realized how much I really liked the fringe on the bottom of the dress. That inspired me to make a piece to go along with this now- purple outfit.

I took a large scrap that I had left over, and started amputating.



I took the middle piece and cut it into two.



Then I took those two, and chopped them in half. I was left with these four pieces.



I wasn't too worried about the pieces being perfect. The crazier, the better. 

I pinned the pieces together, and got to sewing.



Yep, I'm sewing on my knee. It's a terrible idea. I now have a bandaid on the kneecap. Ouchy :(

Anywho, when I was done sewing the pieces together, I was left with a fairly long strip of black fabric.



I took the ends, and cut little strips into them, pulling on them as I went so they would twirl a little bit.



Once I had my fringed sash finished, I tied it around my waist, tossed on my favorite booties and a (new!) black, dangle necklace and was finished.

Look at that horrible nighty now.



I love this fringe outfit. I'm actually happy the color ended up being purple instead of blue. And you can't even see the ugly pattern anymore. 



I love the accessories for this outfit. I feel like the dangle star necklace adds a little punk-ish vibe to the fringe. LOVE IT!



So what do you think? Should I dye the clothes from now on? Let me know in the comments below :)



8 comments:

  1. WOW! You wouldn't even know it's the same thing! You are getting so good at this. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really love the dye. I'm going to keep working with it :)

      Delete
  2. OH WOW!! Are you sure you didn't grab something outta your closet for the after shot? There's no way I could have seen that coming!! I can't even imagine how comfy that must be since its pj material!! Thinkin I need this too!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely the same pajamas. The dress is really comfortable, considering it's 100% cotton. I love it :)

      Delete
  3. Youre getting better st this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm trying to get better and better. There's always room for improvement!

      Delete