Saturday, August 2, 2014

Grandma's Nighty

Hello, hello from Tennessee!

As I mentioned before, my man cake and I came down to visit his family. We arrived here Thursday night (or early Friday morning) and plan on staying for a week.

We had a lot of crazy times on the car ride, but eventually had to stop in this lovely state for a pee break.



Here's the lovely man cake checking on our luggage.



After what seemed like the longest drive in world history, we finally made it to Tennessee. I would have taken a picture of the Tennessee sign, but it was well after midnight, and I could hardly keep my eyes open. 

After unpacking, collapsing into bed, and having a relaxing time with the family, we decided we would all go out.

Sadly, I realized I had nothing to wear that would keep me cool in this crazy heat. 

But that didn't stop me. I had secretly brought a bag full of clothes that needed refashioning. And so I got to searching.

After much debating, I finally settled on this... thing.



I'm pretty sure this used to be someone's grandma's nightgown. It had old, frilly lace all over the collar and wrists of the shirt. I was swimming in it, and knew I could NOT go out into town in something like that.

As the refashion wheels in my brain started turning, my man cake's father announced that we were leaving soon. 

Gah! I hadn't even began to do anything to this terrible nighty! I had to work fast, which meant I needed a nice no sew option.

I began by taking out my trusty seam ripper, and tearing at those sleeves.



Buh bye, weird lace!



Neither of you will be missed.

I then began picking at the collar when my man cake's dad announced we were leaving in five minutes. Eek!

I took my scissors out and vigorously chopped off that collar.



It looks like a baby's bib. 

I had originally planned for this to be a dress, but with my nerves running through the roof, and the clock ticking the time away, I got a little scissor happy. Let this be a lesson to you- give yourself a good cushion of time to refashion.

Since I knew I couldn't wear it as a dress, I tossed it on over top of some capri pants, took the fabric that I had cut off from the bottom, and tied it around my waste as a make shift sash. For added measure, I threw on my favorite owl necklace. 

And tada! 



I wore my awesome new shirt to see the Guardians of the Galaxy at the Lincoln Theater.



This theater is absolutely amazing. It just recently went digital, meaning they now play the new movies. The theater only has two screens, one upstairs and one downstairs, and it is still set up in the old- timey manner. It was an amazing experience.



I had a great time, and I loved the movie! I also loved getting compliments on my new shirt.




I love this shirt so much! I'm actually happy that it didn't turn out being the dress I originally imagined. It's flowy and comfortable. Sadly, in this picture, the sash wasn't tied as tight as it should have been. I promise it just looks like I'm pregnant :P No babies for me. No thank you.


So, what do you think? Not too shabby for a 15 minute refashion, huh? Have you ever been to a theater like the Lincoln? Have you seen Guardians yet? Like always, share your thoughts in the comments below.



No comments:

Post a Comment