Saturday, August 9, 2014

Perfect is Boring

Hello, hello! 

I'm finally back from my vacation in Tennessee. I know I only posted once while on vacation, but I promise my time was well spent. When I wasn't hanging out with the "in-laws", I was studying up on new refashioning techniques, and planning future posts.

Once you see today's post, you'll see how much I've stepped up my game ;)

First off, though, I want to apologize for today's pictures. As some of you may know, I have severe tendinitis in my wrist, which frequently affects my daily routines. I have to pump gas and open doors with my left hand instead of my right (I'm right handed). I have a hard time holding onto things, or doing the same motion over and over again. My wrist was giving me a really hard time today, so some of the pictures may be blurry. Just a friendly heads up.

Today's refashion is my favorite so far! It started out with a too big skirt.



I like the color, and the pinstripes, but it was too big for me. Something needed to be done, ASAP.

So first, I used my trusty tape measure and measured myself from shoulder to shoulder. Then I flipped the skirt upside down, and measured the width of the bottom.



At first I thought I was going to have a hard time with this one. The skirt had a zipper (which I didn't think would work well for what I had in mind). It also had a slit cut into it, and some wonky, stretched out elastic.



The zipper ended up working well for me, since it was centered in the middle of the fabric. That meant there was a seam straight down the center, which would help me keep the shoulders even.



See the seam? I divided my shoulder length in half, and measured that number away from the seam, and pinned it. I did the same to the other part of the seam. (My shoulder width was 12.5 inches, so I measured 6.25 inches away from the seam on each side.)



This is where my shoulders would start. I then measured two inches away from those pins, which acted as a signal for me to stop sewing the arms.



Two widdle inches. Next, I took my favorite little stash and got to work.



My best friends. Oh, do you like my new sewing table? It is non other than....



...my Harry Potter table! (I warned you I was a nerd.) Anywho, I got to sewing between the pins.



At this point, I tried on the fabric, and realized the slit of the skirt was flapping on my chest weird. That's when I got an awesome idea.

I pinned the slit down at an angle, which would become an imperfect neckline. 



Then I got to sewing.



Look at that wicked awesome sewing I got going on.

When I was done sewing, I chopped off the extra fabric so it wouldn't be rubbing me all day.



Choppity chop! Next, I measured from my sewed shoulders, down at an angle towards the side seam of the skirt. These would be the arm holes. I measured where I wanted them to be, and got to chopping.



Once I was done, I tossed on my new shirt, and paired it with a white tank and light-colored capris.

Ta da!



Words cannot even describe how much I love this shirt! This is my absolute favorite refashion to date.



It is so comfortable, I love the colors, and it will match with everything! Even when it gets colder outside, I can toss on a cardigan over top and be on my way.


So what do you think? Have I stepped up my game since coming home from vacation? Do you forgive me for only posting once? Let me know in the comments below!


7 comments:

  1. OMG!! That is awesome Jess!! you impress me with every single post! You def didn't get this from either of us! What an imagination and talent! I love it!! Make something for me!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much! I told ya to bring me something and I'll make it/ fix it/ refashion it for ya!

      Delete
  2. That is so AWESOME. I absolutely love it. As I was reading I was thinking "how the hell is she going to turn a skirt into a shirt?", I couldn't picture it at all. I'm not very imaginative unless there is like ghosts involved and then my imagination goes crazy. This is my favorite so far too. It's so awesome. You are so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see another photo without the light behind it so I can get a really good look at this awesome shirt :D

      Delete
    2. Aww, thank you so much! I'm not really sure how it hit me, to tell you the truth, but once I started working on it, I was so excited about it. I'll admit I've worn the shirt so much already. I will definitely take another picture without the light so you can see it better. :)

      Delete
    3. So I just discovered if I click on the picture, it brings it up bigger. Yes, I'm slow.

      Delete